August 26th, 2005
Quick question (rj_anderson, it's mostly directed at you, because I know your blog has an RSS feed, but anyone else who understands what I'm asking, feel free to jump in):
I've created a blog for my time in the Peace Corps (http://www.salinukraine.blogspot.com), and I want to make an RSS feed so that LJ friends can just add it to their friendslist. How do I do this? I have a paid account, if that helps...
Current Mood: curious
|02:04 pm - counting down...|
In about an hour and a half, I will no longer be an employee of West Circle Complex. Nor will I be a student. For a month, I will be an unemployed, not-taking-classes bum.
I'm looking forward to it immensely.
Current Mood: happy/exhausted
August 23rd, 2005
My computer appears to have massive issues. It either makes weird whistling noises when I turn it on (and then nothing happens) or it tells me that I have no mouse plugged in. When I very obviously have a mouse plugged in. Bah.
Am currently taking my 10 am break at work at 11 am, due to today being a bit odd. I'm working parking, which is rather boring but sort of nice, as I pretty much just sit there and tell the occasional car where to go. Freshman move-in day (tomorrow) will probably be much less serene.
I miss having a working computer at home.
Current Mood: chipper
Current Music: "Brave" by Nichole Nordeman (in my head)
August 5th, 2005
|09:45 pm - well, Shakespeare it ain't...|
I just got back from a theater performance that included abduction, abandonment, seduction, slavery, witchcraft, potential disembowelment, and an attempted forced marriage.
I am speaking, of course, of that pinnacle of stage performances, ( ...Collapse )
Current Mood: amused
August 4th, 2005
|09:48 pm - bookish quotes|
Flannery O'Connor, after visiting MSU in the mid-1950s: "I met some of the English faculty and they were a very disgruntled crew. They said their library was brand new and specialized in the second volumes of trilogies..."
Glad to know some things have improved.
Why I'm glad I'm moving to Ukraine: "One eleventh-century text refers to the Rus [the people who settled Ukraine, Russia, and Belarus] as a people 'feasted to fulfillment on the sweetness of books'." If the trait carries on, I should fit right in.
Current Mood: warm, tired
August 1st, 2005
|09:37 pm - me encanta los ninos|
I had so much fun at the migrant camp tonight. (In case I've never mentioned this, I've been working with a literacy program this summer, reading with Hispanic kids at a migrant camp south of where I live.) I worked with Briana, the so-called "demon child" of the camp (her regular tutor was gone), and she did really well. We actually went for half an hour solid before she took a break to go look at her pet chicken. This is a record.
And then there's Luis, who is the most energetic six-or-so-year-old I know, who babbles at me in Spanish while I try to follow along as we run around, laughing and yelling and kicking a ball away from each other. I pick him up and spin him around, and he asks me in Spanish for another turn. "Un mas," I tell him. "One more." Tonight we danced to my singing of "La Cucaracha".
I love kids. It makes me sad that we only have one more night of tutoring, but I'm excited about the fall. Small Child is a universal language I seem to be able to speak, and I'm hoping it holds true for Ukraine.
Current Mood: giddy
Current Music: something from the next-door-neighbors' house, jazz-ish
July 31st, 2005
|08:46 pm - mishmash|
Amusement of the day: my next door neighbors setting up what looked to be a tennis net across one of the side streets and playing some sort of game that involved hitting balls (couldn't tell what size) back and forth. I think my primary amusement in this situation is that they were blocking the street.
Other items of interest:
* A friend gave me tomatoes (which I usually don't eat) earlier this week, and since then, I have made bruchetta twice and have been pretty pleased with my results.
* Have truly discovered the joys of cable TV. In addition to occasionally watching the Food Network, I've developed a fondness for Smallville and Dr. Who.
* The Brothers Karamazov is a good book. (This is a rather belated item of interest, as I finished it some time ago.)
* There is a version of Boggle called "Boggle Master" in which the grid is 5x5 instead of 4x4 and you can only make words of four or more letters.
Current Mood: full
July 23rd, 2005
|01:12 pm - My top 5 lists|
(all lists are in no particular order)
From tdslappy, 5 literary protagonists I want to smack:
1. Scarlett O'Hara (from Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell)
2. Emma Woodhouse (from Emma by Jane Austen)
3. Caleb Williams (from Caleb Williams by William Godwin)
4. Angel Clare (from Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy...I think I'd smack Angel harder than any of the rest)
5. Nick Seafort (from the Seafort Saga by David Feintuch)
From pseudoliberty, top five John Denver songs:
1. "Country Roads, Take me Home"
2. "Annie's Song"
3. "Thank God, I'm a Country Boy"
5. "Rocky Mountain High"
(I also liked his rendition of "Today," but since that was originally a New Christy Minstrels song, I'll leave it off the list.)
From kari_w, five perfumes/fragrances...I don't usually wear perfume, so I'll just pick five smells I like:
3. laundry hung out on a clothesline to dry
4. pizza sauce
5. a tree on campus that has sort of a citrus/burnt sugar smell
From turtleheart, five reasons to wake up in the morning:
2. I'm still alive
3. someone has to shut off the alarm clock
4. I'm going to do something fun
5. my mother is coming to visit and I need to wash the dishes first (that happened this morning)
From vacheestfachee, five things I wish I hadn't overheard:
1. not exactly overhearing, but I once accidentally saw a note that one of the girls that I was in Sunday School wrote when we were children, in which she said that no one wanted to be her friend; I felt sad
2. I can't think of any more...never done much eavesdropping
From grey_mist, top five things to do online:
1. check my email
2. read my friendslist on LJ
3. read other blogs/journals of friends
4. read articles in the New York Times or Christianity Today
5. read fanfiction
rose_in_shadow, your answers will be coming soon, but I want to link to the artwork, which may take some time to find.
Current Mood: tired
July 20th, 2005
|11:23 pm - gacked from several sources, lizbee being the most recent|
Ask me for "top five" lists of pretty much anything, and I will list you my top five of that thing or things. Copy and give your own top fives if you want.
Current Mood: happy
Current Music: "Rocky Mountain High" by John Denver (in my head)
|12:08 pm - Peace Corps invite!!!|
It's official...Ukraine, leaving September 30th!
Current Mood: ecstatic